Saturday 21 July 2018

Setting Up the Acer WMR Headset

Plug and Play... Plug and Play it said. Just plug it in and play.

There was no chance it would be that simple!

For starters, I first would have to plug in the new GPU and connect the new Hard Drive. Luckily I found a connection cable for the HD in my suitcase full of old computer stuff (I knew there was a reason for hoarding all that old shit)

Once I got that done I would also have to upgrade my OS to Windows 10 (from Win 7), the only OS that WMR would run on.

Well, I figured it would take a few hours to complete all that. I figured I could get in a virtual space by early evening at the latest (we'd just arrived home after a 3 hour trip from BKK in the morning)

Well, after putting the new parts into the tower, the computer beeped repeatedly at me in response to my pushing of the power button. Nothing came on. It just beeped. It's fine, I thought, I'll make sure everything is connected right. Everything looks good. I try unplugging the new HD. Doesn't make a difference. I take out and put back in the new GPU. Still nothing.

I figure its the RAM. It's always the RAM. It's happened before. Just need to take them out and put them in again. Still no. Try the RAM one more time. Still no. I'm a sweaty mess and nearly at the end of my rope. I look over to my wife and say, "I think we need to take it to the shop."

I'm loathe to take it to the shop because the last time I did that, they proclaimed that I would need a new mother board when actually, the problem was that the CMOS battery had somehow been dislodged (i had a cat at the time and didn't keep the tower case closed.) Thankfully by being vigilant, I saved myself having to purchase a motherboard only 6 months after buying the last one (or get a new one via the warranty).

But I'm at my wit's end and so off we go to the mall, basement floor. I carry the tower in to the shop and the first thing the big guy there does is take out the RAM. . . . He takes them both out and puts one back in. He pushes the power button and lo and behold, it boots! Then he puts in the second card and it beeps. He takes it out and cleans it with some cloth and puts it back in and badaboom badabing, the machine is purring like it should. How much for your time? 100 baht? Ok. Fine.

Go back home. At least that didn't take a long time. But I still have to install Windows 10. How much does that cost? 5500 baht!? WTF? I won't go into details pertaining the solution I came to for obtaining Windows 10, but suffice it to say it was a royal pain in the arse and come 2AM the next day, I fell asleep on the floor waiting for Windows 10 to update.

I woke up around 6.30 AM and the computer seems to be on. I try on the headset and breathe a huge sigh of relief. It works! It finally works. Well, too bad I'm too pooped to give it a real whirl. I head up the stairs to bed and plop down. I'm going to get some sleep and hopefully be able to enjoy a well earned virtual world once I wake up again.


No comments:

Post a Comment